There are many resources that need to be in place for a residential building to perform at an optimal level. For instance, there needs to be light, water, gas, and heating and there also needs to be provision for removing waste from the building. In the case of electrical supply, pipes are used sparingly and mostly for the purpose of organization.
Our focus on this article when we talk about residential pipe lining is on the water and sewage systems. We would look at tips that would help you know whether your contractor is doing the right thing or not when mapping out these pipeline systems.
Setting Up Your Residential Water Pipeline System
Setting up water supply in a home is something of utmost importance to every homeowner. This is because if it is not handled the right way during the construction process, it could lead to hefty repair fees after. In this section, we would share what to bear in mind when a contractor is laying water pipes in your home. They include the following:
- Do not fall into the trap of opting for cheap products in a bid to save money. You will always lose in the long run and oftentimes double what you would have spent if you had just gotten good quality products from the onset.
- Liaise with your contractor and understand the type of water available in your area. Just in case you didn’t know, there is hard water and soft water. If you have hard water in your area, be ready to spend a decent amount on water softeners, especially for laundry. You should also take note that hard water leaves marks on the clothes due to their chemical composition.
- It is very important to consider the difference in people occupying the structure. What we mean by this is there might be height and age differences that would influence the placement of water taps and switches. You do not want a short resident of the house having trouble accessing a shower tap. Ensure your plumber keeps this in mind during installation.
- When it comes to outdoor plumbing, one mistake often made is the placement of their pipes and outlets. The optimum position for outdoor water outlets in a home should be inconspicuous yet accessible. This way, your home looks clutter-free. In your installation process, the technician should consider tasks that might occur out of the home. Such as; washing of cars and watering the lawn. Does your outlet provision allow this to happen efficiently?
- When installing a plumbing system, it is always good to have a central point for each operation. By this we mean your water softener, water heater, and all other vital components should be connected in one place.
The reason for this is that maintenance and repairs by a technician are so much easier when the focus is on one location. If each room had a water heating machine instead of a centralized one, that could spell trouble.
In the event of maintenance and repairs, you will most likely be charged more for each appliance that is handled as it takes more time.
- You also need to consider each room that will need a water supply when planning your plumbing network. While doing this, your contractor would take note of each appliance that needs access to water. For example, in the case of a kitchen, you might have a dishwasher or sink.
- There are times when your water system might be compromised. An easy example is a scenario where you are unable to shut off the water in the kitchen or toilet. When this happens, water just keeps flowing. Now imagine this happening in different parts of the home, all at the same time. We can all agree that this is a situation no one would want to be in, right? This is why it is necessary to have a centralized cut-off system. Shutting down water access in the whole house would be as simple as flipping a single switch.
- Lastly, you also want to be sure that your contractor is well aware of water pressure. This link: https://practical.engineering/blog/2021/4/6/flow-and-pressure-in-pipes-explained tells you how to take account of water pressure when setting up a pipeline system.
Sewage Pipeline System Maintenance
A sewage system is vital for removing waste products from the house efficiently. Burying the pipe in the ground is a common method but this has long proved to be an inefficient method for removing waste. This is due to the costly method of maintenance which requires the ground to be broken and the pipe to be excavated. The use of above-ground pipelines is so much easier.
Below, we've briefly discussed some tips that should help with sewage system maintenance. Since we have no idea of the type of drainage system you're using, these tips are centered generally around all of them.
- A major problem most homeowners would admit that they encounter with the septic tank system is that it gets clogged too often. One way to go about it is by cleaning it regularly. This will keep the pipeline free for waste to travel from the septic tank and perhaps to your treatment plants. We understand that this is not something every homeowner might want to do personally. Fortunately, there are tons of companies out there that will handle this professionally. You can also check here for more tips for how to unclog a drainage system
- A good way to take care of your drainage system is by monitoring what is put into it. You will think this is pretty obvious but the number of people that call plumbers for the weirdest request would make you think otherwise. When introducing objects or substances into your drainage system, ensure that they can be easily broken down and moved by the pressure of the water. If they can’t, you’re on your way to having a clogged pipeline.
Hopefully, by now you should have an understanding of what residential pipelining is all about. We looked into a few areas you should take note of when hiring a contractor to set up your water and sewage pipeline systems. These tips are essential for both the installation and maintenance of the systems in general.
It is easy to slip into the notion that “it’s not so hard” when you have a problem. When this happens remember that there’s a reason why professionals who handle maintenance and installation exist. Unless you’re sure of your skills, it is advised that you seek the help of these professionals when having issues.