Not every homeowner can afford to renovate their home as soon as possible. Buying a house in itself is a major spend - how much more the material and labor required for renovation work? It might take a couple of months to save up for the most basic projects. Even then, you have to stick to a shoestring budget to make it work.
If you are ready to turn your house into a home, you need to find a way to cut down on costs. While there are several financing options for your home remodeling project, it is best to try cutting down the services’ cost. Here are the steps you can take to hire an excellent home remodeling contractor on a budget:
Figure Out What You Want To Do
Most people opt to renovate in sections. They divide the entire house into smaller, more manageable projects. When you do this, you get to give each section of the house a decent amount of attention and budget.
But before you can divide the house into individual remodeling projects - you need to know what you want. Do you plan on changing every bit of your house? Do you want a different layout? Or are you only after the big-ticket rooms like the kitchen and the bathroom? Do you want to keep the original cabinets and hardware fixtures? Nothing can inflate a bill more than changing your mind and redoing parts of the house that should have been “finished” by then.
Here are some sample of changes you can make:
- The Growing Family: You probably have a couple of young kids and another on the way. Your current home is too small and cramped for you. The recommended remodeling projects are to get a home addition, redo the basement, and get a kitchen remodel. With the home addition and the basement remodeling, you can increase your overall living space. And with a larger family, you need a more survivable kitchen, so expanding the island or adding extra storage solutions is the way to go.
- The Young Professionals: This home is probably your first home purchase, and you want it to serve your current lifestyle better. For someone that is child-free for a couple of years, you can look into a complete home remodel. Change up your living room and outdoor patio/deck so you can better entertain friends and family. Get a basement remodel or home addition for a new home library or home gym. You can also update the bathrooms around the house so you can create your own oasis at home. Read More: Top Home Upgrades People Want In a COVID-19 World.
- The Quick Flip: There will always be someone out to remodel houses as an investment. Since they aren’t planning on living in the home, they are only after renovations that will generate higher property value. If you are after a quick flip - you should set aside a budget for an outdoor deck, a bathroom and kitchen remodel, and a fresh coat of paint. If the house is pretty old, you can also update the roofing and siding for better curb appeal.
These are only some examples of how you can match your remodeling projects to your lifestyle. The important thing you should take away from this is that you should see all the projects you intend to do. With this kind of thinking, you can take care of the more expensive / high-stakes builds first. You can also plan for your future budget in mind.
Create An Appropriate Budget
Once you have your projects in mind, you must create a realistic budget. Look for each project’s average cost and see if those numbers match the scale you have in mind. For example, you want to have an outdoor deck, but you aren’t looking for anything fancy. You might need to pay for the lower end of the national average. However, if you want to look into custom designs and upscale finishes - expect to pay well-beyond the average price.
Besides looking into the scale of the build, consider other factors that may affect the final cost. Location, materials, labor, and expertise - you have to pay for everything that comes into the project. Create your budget with this in mind.
Search For Local Home Remodeling Companies
When you have a budget, start looking for home remodeling companies near you. Professional services, like those on Paragon Remodeling, list down all their services to figure out which one you like best.
When you are looking for a remodeling contractor, don’t settle on the first one you found. Instead, get 6 to 10 potential companies and weed them out. By casting a wide net, you have a better chance at finding a remodeling company that will deliver quality builds at a reasonable price.
Send Your Inquiries And Ask For Quotes
Once you have your list of companies, send them your inquiries. Ask them about their services and rates. Be very detailed, so they have all the information necessary to give a quote. Some questions you should be able to answer are:
- What are the dimensions of the project?
- Are there possible issues that may affect the build (faulty wiring, additional plumbing, etc.)?
- What are the materials for this build?
- What is the timeline you have in mind?
- Does the build require the expertise of an architect or engineerhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCfWZziJVSZyIT_9oxRoQo4ErPutKEMYqMtJjh3nFKc/edit?
If they need more details, don’t be afraid to take them up on their free consultation. You don’t have to seal the deal just because you discussed the project at length. The meeting should help both of you see if the job is something you want to do together.
Compare The “Specs” Of Each Company
Once you have all the information, compare them point per point. You aren’t trying to look for the cheapest company. It is easy for them to give low quotes.
No, you want to work alongside someone that will integrate the most value. You need a company that will not create complications. The construction should be professionally done, and the product should stand the test of time. Settling with whoever is cheapest doesn’t guarantee that. If a remodeling company costs more but they offer services that ease the burden on you - it is worth considering.
Don’t Settle For Anything Less
It is easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer selection. But it is important to remember that these steps are vital in getting a remodeling company on a budget. The extra hours spent on research and pros and cons list will reward you with a home remodeling company that can help you bring your visions to life. Who knows, this might become the beginning of a long-term partnership.