Over the years basement waterproofing services are becoming increasingly popular. And for a good reason - basement waterproofing is not only an excellent way to protect your home from basement water damage, but also an excellent way to increase the value of your home.
In todays article we will dive into why basement waterproofing is important & what specific services services under the broad basement waterproofing category are tend to be the most popular.
First, why is basement waterproofing so popular and what benefits does bring?
- Protecting Your Home's Foundation: Water can be very damaging to a home's foundation. Over time, water can cause cracks, erosion, and other types of damage that can weaken the foundation and compromise the structural integrity of the home. Basement waterproofing services can prevent water from entering the basement and causing damage to the foundation.
- Preventing Mold and Mildew: Moisture in the basement can create the perfect environment for mold and mildew to grow. This can be a health hazard for the occupants of the home, especially those with allergies or respiratory issues. Basement waterproofing services can prevent moisture from entering the basement and reduce the risk of mold and mildew growth.
- Protecting Your Property: A damp basement can damage your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and electronics. Water damage can also lead to costly repairs or replacements. Basement waterproofing services can protect your property and save you money in the long run.
- Improving Your Home's Value: A home with a dry basement is more valuable than a home with a damp basement. Potential buyers will be more likely to purchase a home with a dry basement, and the home will likely sell for a higher price. Basement waterproofing services can increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers.
- Reducing Energy Costs: A damp basement can increase the humidity in the home, making it feel warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. This can lead to higher energy bills as the HVAC system works harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. Basement waterproofing services can reduce the humidity in the home and lower energy costs.
What Basement Waterproofing Services are the Most Popular in the Recent Years?
Basement waterproofing is a broad category that includes a number of different services. From simple wall crack repairs to complex exterior basement waterproofing projects that require excavation, cleaning of the foundation and more.
Here is a number of other services that tend to be popular among people who need basement waterproofing services.
- Exterior Waterproofing: Exterior waterproofing involves excavating the soil around the foundation of the home and applying a waterproof coating or membrane to the exterior walls. This method is the most effective way to prevent water from entering the basement but is also the most expensive and disruptive.
- Interior Waterproofing: Interior waterproofing involves applying a waterproof coating or membrane to the interior walls of the basement. This method is less effective than exterior waterproofing but is also less expensive and less disruptive.
- French Drain System: A French drain system is a trench that is dug around the perimeter of the basement and filled with gravel and a perforated pipe. The pipe collects water and directs it away from the foundation. This method is effective at preventing water from entering the basement but does not protect the exterior walls of the foundation.
- Sump Pump: A sump pump is a device that is installed in the basement to collect and remove water that has entered the basement. This method is effective at preventing water damage but does not prevent water from entering the basement in the first place.
- Foundation Crack Repairs: cracks in the foundation walls are often injected with an epoxy solution that acts as a sealant in the foundation walls and prevents water from entering the basement. This method is effective for small cracks but may not be effective for larger cracks or structural issues.
- Basement Underpinning: While basement underpinning is not a wasterproofing solution per say, these two projects often go hand in hand. Basement underpinning is a construction technique used to increase the depth or height of a basement. It involves excavating the soil beneath the existing foundation and pouring new, deeper footings to support the foundation. This is done to increase the height of the basement walls or to create more headroom in a low-ceilinged basement.
When considering basement waterproofing services, it is important to consult with a professional to determine which method is best for your home's specific needs.
Factors such as the age of the home, the location of the foundation, and the severity of the water damage can all influence the choice of waterproofing method.
Regardless of the method chosen, basement waterproofing is an essential service that can protect a home's foundation and prevent costly water damage.